June

If you haven't seen me this month, it's because I have been in the kitchen.  Or the garden.  You'd think summer was a time for a break from the hectic school routine.  No, I trade that job for one in the field.   I pick in the early morning and again in the evening.  The rest of the time I'm usually washing, shucking, peeling, grating, slicing, stirring, freezing, canning, drying...  It is a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun (at least to me).  And I like knowing that all or most of what goes on the plate comes from what I've grown.  It's healthier.  It tastes better.  And the kids eat their vegetables better when they have helped nurture them.  This is life out here.  And here's what it looks like when I slowed down long enough to take a picture...

Sunflowers are the happening place in bee world right now.  Always busy.

My lone fig for this year. 

San Marzano tomatoes.

Alpine and Shelby

Borage.  The picture doesn't come close to real life.  The flowers are electric blue.  

These ladies (and one gentleman) are so happy to be out and about again. 

The pumpkins are growing.

I had a helper picking peas.

Zinnias

I've enjoyed the variety in the sunflowers this year.

Thankfully it looks like it will be a good year for pecans.

The chickens come home to roost around dark each evening.  It makes barn duty more fun with nightly views like this.

Comments