Rainy Day News



It is finally raining at my house after weeks and weeks of dry, hot weather. I am so thankful because everything was getting dusty and wilted despite my watering efforts. Since I'm not out working in the rain I thought I'd take a minute and share a few photos. Don't you love the color on the hydrangea? I planted it in 2016 but this is the first time it has bloomed. It's such a vibrant pink. We had a large hydrangea bush when we lived in town but it was the standard light blue. I guess the soil where it is planted is a little more alkaline.

Green bean flowers

The kidney, pinto and green beans are flowering and starting to have a multitude of little beans. It'll be picking time before I can turn around. There are also small green tomatoes on the vines, the squash and zucchini and coming along nicely and the cucumbers and peppers are blossoming. The broccoli and cauliflower are finished until we replant for the fall crop.

Peaches are in!

The strawberries are still producing but not at quite the same prolific rate as before. I've put up strawberry jam and strawberry banana jam, I've frozen strawberries, I've made strawberry pie, and we've eaten strawberries. Lots and lots of strawberries. I do love strawberries, but I'm glad the peaches are coming along to add a new flavor to our menus. I'm working on perfecting a recipe for peach syrup. There's a store bought version that we've always liked and I'd like to come up with one of my own since we now have peaches in abundance. So far I haven't found just the right concoction. 

Our newest addition.

We've got worms! Well, Riley actually has worms. He's created a worm farm that's housed in the barn. He participated in an entrepreneurship program for students and learned to create a business from start to finish. He'll be selling red wigglers and night crawlers for bait and worm castings for compost.

The rain has stopped and the weeds are calling to be pulled. I need to head outside. I'll leave you with a few more pictures from our place.

Onion blossom

magnolia

Blossoms on one of our Anna apple trees.

Dragonfly enjoying a nice afternoon.

Comments