The Heat Is On

These are the busy, sweltering days of June when I have to be up and out at first light to weed and pick and then in the kitchen all day canning, freezing, prepping all I've picked. 

The grapevines are loaded, waiting for them to turn purple.

'Apache' blackberries. We're getting berries every day. These are huge!  It's a thornless variety.

This is a wild blackberry on the left and an Apache blackberry on the right. We also have Triple Crown blackberries.

One of my summer favorites, black-eyed susans.

I loved this mushroom. It looks like it belongs in a storybook with a fairy hiding underneath.

The bluebirds have been very busy this year. This little fellow has already flown away and the third set of eggs have been laid and are waiting to hatch. It's just one of the bluebird houses we have around the farm. They're all occupied.

More of the daily berry picking--blueberries, blackberries, red and black raspberries. Berries with granola and yogurt, my summertime breakfast of choice. I've also been making jellies, jams and pies with all the harvest.

My early morning companion. I'm thankful for his help pollinating the garden.

My other helpers. They're taking a break from chasing squirrels and playing tag with each other.

And where does most of my time go? Turning this...

...into this.

Comments