First Year on the Farm



I'm amazed at how quickly last year sped past.  With our "summer of sickness" it felt like I didn't get much done.  It's hard to see what's around you when you're only looking ahead at all there is to do.  And I have a mile long list of projects and plans and plants floating in my mind.

So I'm thankful for my compulsive need for a 'to do' list, for lists and charts of any kind, doesn't matter--I love them all.  Those scribbles serve as a memory marker for this first full year on our little farm.  For all the things we haven't gotten done, there is still a good bit that we accomplished. 

  • We've done A LOT of clearing out and cleaning out of limbs and weeds and overgrowth
  • We've planted our orchard (at least the beginnings) with peaches, apples, nectarines, plums, pears, figs, oranges, lemons, pomegranate and mayhaws.
  • We've added two separate berry patches--one is blackberries and raspberries, the other is blueberries. 
  • We set up our grape trellis system.
  • We added onto our chicken flock--some were purchased and some were hatched by our broody hen Peeps.  
  • We converted some of the barn stalls into a chicken coop.  
  • I got my Egg Candling Certificate and am licensed to sell eggs.  
  • We created our garden space and planted the first of our crops.  
  • We've picked, canned, frozen, and pickled lots of our harvest.
  • We've enjoyed going out to the garden and gathering food for the table.
  • Jack started his mushrooms.  
  • Riley was busy with his photography.
  • Meredith raised her ducklings. 
  • We've added rain barrels.
  • We butchered our first chicken. 
  • We've added a new roof, new windows, worked on the house.
  • We've created flower beds, chopped down trees. 
  • We've loved spending time with family and friends who come out to visit.  
  • And these are just some of the things...
 It was a great first year.  And things are still going on and growing on.  Here's a glimpse at a few.

My trial run of wheat.  I love it.
One of the fellas.

Early Peas

Finally, these are the best carrots I've ever grown.  I had almost given up growing them.

See?  Those are the same carrots.

Cabbage

Jack, collecting moss for his bonsai tree plantings.

Lettuce

Beets

Now we're into a new year.  So far this year on the farm:
  • Jon and the boys have cut down trees and turned them into firewood, chunks for the BBQ smoker, even some wood slices for me to use in table decorations.
  • We've planted elderberries near the raspberry patch.  
  • I finished shelling this season's pecan crop.
  • The boys built me a new compost bin from pallets.
  • I finished writing my farm planting guide and creating my farm 'to do' calendar.
  • We've cut back two more big sections of undergrowth in the treeline.  
And this is only the fifth day.  I think this is going to be an amazing year.

Comments

  1. I just love your families 20 acres . We love it out at Burnt Oak Farm. I know how much you and John have sacrificed to have this Farm and for you to be able to stay at home and rear the kids. I envy you, that you have so much time to do the things you love. You have done a great job on the farm and I look forward to seeing what else y'all have planned for Burnt Oak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! We do love it here and love sharing it with family and friends. And thank you for the Corn Hole Game. I'll have to post a picture so everyone can see. It's lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment