When Good Women Make Bad Pickles

The past few days have been super busy around here, lots to tell you about.  But for today, I have a confession. 

Remember the other day when I showed you the picture of my canning? 






Well, all was not as it should be.  See those jars on the far left?  Those are pickles.  Delicious?  Yes.  But they are more yellow than they should have been and I couldn't figure out why.  I needed to make another batch but I was getting nervous.  I don't want more jaundiced pickles.  Enter my "helpers"--AKA the family.

The pickles are too yellow, they say.

Add some green food coloring, they say.

You can add a little green food coloring to pepper jelly, maybe pickles too?  I decided to give it a try.


Just a couple of drops in a giant canner.

Just 
a couple 
of drops...

Ladies and gentlemen, behold the monster that this Franken-canner has created in her laboratory.
 
And this is after adding yellow food coloring to tone it down!
 
Leprechaun pickles!
Oh how they have laughed, those same people who told me to put the food coloring in the pot!  I can give them out on St. Patrick's Day, they say.  They even have a little commercial all worked up.  In their best Irish accent they say, "Nobody better lay a finger on me lucky pickles."  

Oh well, at least they're magically delicious.

P.S.  I figured out where I went wrong on the first batch.  I hadn't been thinking and accidentally peeled my cucumbers before slicing them.  No green rind, no green color.  Live and learn.  Pickle on.

Comments