Something's Come Up


I blinked and April turned into May. 

We're almost done with school!  It's been our best year ever but I'm thankful I'll have some extra time to devote to what we have growing.  Everything is coming along nicely and the picking has begun.  It's hard to believe there are things that are already done for the season.  Bye, bye beets, broccoli, greens.  I've started digging up some of the potatoes.  Here's a peek at what we do have growing.

This is one of the gardens.  There's another to the right of the barn.

The green beans are popping up but they're sparse.  I was using up some seed that I had from last year.  Tried replanting a section.  Nope.  Finally broke down and bought some new seed.  Hopefully third time will be the charm. 

The cucumber plants are having no such problems.  

We're picking these already. 

There are two large rows of field peas, I think there are five varieties.  This will be the summer of shelling.
My first year with cabbage.

Buttery lettuce
Sweet onions.  My mom declares them sweeter than Vidalias. 

Early peas, garden peas, whatever you'd like to call them.  We call them yummy.  Next time I'll plant more.
And what's growing fastest on the farm?  Hard to believe this fella is 17!!!

Here's a parting shot from last night. 

I'll come back tomorrow and share a few recipes for how we cook up all this goodness from the garden. 

Comments