Fresh Recipes

I promised to share a couple of ways we use our fresh vegetables.  I thought I'd get back to do that before now but I've been digging baskets of potatoes.  Right now we have plenty of squash, this is our go to way to eat it. This recipe is as simple as it gets.

 
Sauteed Squash

6-8 small squash or 4-6 medim
2 small onions with green tops
4 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste

I like to use my cast iron dutch oven for this, but any good size pan will do.  It's like with spinach, it'll start out looking like a lot and end up with a much smaller amount.  Cut up the green tops of your onions with scissors, then slice the squash and remaining onion thin (I like to use my mandolin for this).  Heat your pan on medium, add your butter and remaining ingredients.  The only thing you have to do is give it a stir every once in a while.  It'll need to cook at least 20 minutes, maybe more depending on how tender you like your squash.  


The next recipe is my adaptation of a recipe I found in Better Homes and Gardens cookbook when I was looking for a little something different to do with fresh garden peas.  It's best eaten right away as it tends to thicken up quickly.  If you're reheating it for leftovers, you may want to add a little extra milk.  In the picture I've also added a few small new potatoes.



Creamed Peas

2 cups fresh peas (or 1 package of frozen)
3/4 cup sliced green onion
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp season salt
1 cup milk
1/2 mozzarella cheese, grated (can also use swiss)
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped lemon balm (or lemon zest)

Cook peas in boiling water for 15 minutes; drain.  Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender.  Stir in flour and salt.  Add milk all at once.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir one minute more.  Add your cheese and lemon balm, stirring until the cheese melts.  Stir in peas.  


Comments