Growing Pains

Remember that nursery rhyme that goes, "Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?"  I was in kindergarten and we were putting on a play for our families about nursery rhymes.  I was one of the pretty maids all in a row.  But I was not a happy one.  I really, really wanted to be the spider in Miss Muffett's tale. 

So these days how does my garden grow?  On and on and on.  I am always in some stage of the pickle making process.  My counter is covered with fresh vegetables.  My freezer is filling up.  It's a glorious time. 

What's in right now?  Squash, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers and wild blackberries.

It's not just vegetables, here's a red sunflower in bloom.

Blackberries on the fence row make good pies and jelly.
Principe tomatoes

What else did we spy growing wild on a fence?  Passion Flower.

Future pickle.

A little peek at the garden.  Behind the chicken tractor is the corn garden.  Beyond that is the melon/pumpkin patch.

These tomatoes are already over seven feet tall.

My favorite food...watermelon.

Delicious.

 The growing doesn't stop with the garden.  This one is growing up and graduating from high school. 

Comments