Marching On

This is a busy time for me outside and I didn't slow down to write a blog post last week.  I was planning to update you on what got planted in March and what was happening in the garden.  Today's weather calls for thunderstorms all day so I get a reprieve to stay inside and share with you.  Even though I was working hard, I did stop to snap a few pictures along the way. 

Shelby is also working hard sharpening her claws on some old fencing.

The tomatoes already have blooms.

This ladybug is being a garden helper in the wheat.

Speaking of helpers, look at the two cuties that came to lend a hand.
Alpine relaxing in the weeds.

I'm trying something new this year...some flowers.  Bouquets of sweet peas smell wonderful.

Pomegranate getting ready to blossom.

I love the scent of orange blossoms and our little tree is loaded with them this year, I hope the storms won't knock all off.

The chicks are growing.  There's a big difference in the size of the meat birds versus the layers.

In the garden I've pulled up the fall carrots and the early peas.  I stored the carrots.  The peas and strawberries have come to an end.  The late freeze did get some of the green beans despite the row cover and I replanted where it was needed.  I've planted more carrots, kidney beans, eggplant, ONE zucchini plant, squash, lots of tomatoes, gourds, herbs, cucumbers and field peas.  I am still waiting to transplant my melons.  We are creating a garden space for them to run free in the big field that was leased to another farmer in previous years.  The melons will have plenty of room to grow and the ground will have a chance to rest.  Jack also planted a couple of new pecan trees in a fenced pasture that will eventually become a pecan orchard.  Every year we will add a few trees.  This year we planted Stuart and Desirable pecans.  We added another plum tree and a new pineapple pear to the fruit orchard. 

Comments