Early Morning

I love to come outside in the early morning when the sun is not fully awake.  I love the soft colors of the morning.  The feel of the air.  The smell of spring.

I love the way the kittens come running from all around when they hear the back door open.  It's breakfast time.

Shelby

I love the sound of the barn door opening and the way Momo the duck runs out, quacking loudly and takes off for her morning flight around the yard and the comes back to be petted.

I love the excited squawks coming from the hens who are ready to run outside.  We have expanded the chicken yard and two sets of chickens now have access to the same outdoor space and can go and visit each others' areas in the barn.  It is amusing to watch how they interact.  All the hens have now decided to start laying eggs in the same nest boxes.  It makes it much more convenient for me but it has angered some of the older hens who feel their territory is being encroached upon.  They've started pecking the new hens' eggs.  Not good.  So right now I'm having to run out multiple times a day to collect eggs before the "old ladies" get hold of them.  

After letting the chickens out and giving them a treat of scratch grain I go and inspect the peaches and strawberries.  Both are doing well.  This morning I have enough strawberries for a little bowl to go with breakfast and a few for the chickens.  They love them.





I let the dogs out for a run and come inside to get things ready for school.  I stop to check on the plants that I'm starting inside.  

The peppers are coming along nicely.




We have several that have begun their rise from the dirt, peeking out, stretching those first tender leaves.  There are watermelon, gourds, squash, cantaloupe, feverfew, basil.  

Another day is underway.

Comments