Gift Ideas for Gardeners

Everyone seems to be looking for gift ideas.  When you look at sites offering advice it seems to have more to do with who advertises on their site than on what is a practical gift.  So, I thought I'd offer up some unsolicited advice, not because anyone paid me to, but because these are really good things. Well, they are to anyone who loves to dig in the dirt.






These gloves!  I love them.  I'm on my second pair.  I had the last pair for years.  Now let me just say, I'm really weird about gloves.  I don't actually like to wear gloves (or shoes) but work in the garden or the field makes it a necessity.  So, it took a great deal of looking and buying and trying to find a pair that worked as hard as I did but was breathable and flexible enough.  These do all that.  They come in a range of colors and sizes.  Look for them at your local garden center or order online. 





The kids have called them my Ronald McDonald shoes, but hey, they get the job done.  They're called Sloggers and they are perfect to slip into at the backdoor and head to the barn.  I do have boots, but I've found that I wear these more often.  I can hose them down if they're dirty.  They aren't as stifling as boots in the southern heat.  Accidentally step in a fire ant bed?  These are much quicker to come off.  Trust me on that one.  I have plenty of experience.  www.sloggers.com





I picked this Harvest Knife up at the Sunbelt Expo this year from The Gardener's Workshop and it is a great little tool to have.  It's small and can fit in my back pocket (don't worry, I put the cover on first) for when I'm out working.  It has a million uses, especially with the serrated side.  I cut through baling twine in a second.  Find it-and the gloves-here





When gardeners do come in from outside, they like to sit down and look at a good book or magazine, especially one that offers great ideas for more things to do.  I picked up the premier issue of Magnolia Journal and thought it was great.  I put a subscription on my Christmas list.  My other magazine love?  The Cottage Journal. 

Other gift ideas:

  • Seed packets for their stocking.  They never, ever have enough seeds.  Find an unusual seed or plant.  They'll love it.  
  • Sow True Seed has a great gift to teach kids (or grownups) to love gardening.  They have gift collections like a Children's Garden, Fresh Salad Garden, Urban Container Garden, Herbal Tea Garden.  
  • A Japanese-style (or cross back) apron is on my wish list.  Or a pattern for making their own if they're handy with a sewing machine.  Gardening is messy work and these aprons offer coverage (front and back) with ease of movement.  Make sure it has a pocket or two to slip in gloves and tools and you can't go wrong.  
  • A visit to a nearby garden.  We've visited beautiful places like Longwood Gardens, historical gardens, private gardens, and we always come away refreshed and filled with ideas to incorporate.  You could find tickets to such places in your area.  Even arranging a lunch and tour of a garden of someone you know is a wonderful treat.  
  • The Backyard Homestead Book of Building Projects is a book any homesteader or gardener would love to add to their library.  I found it at the library and have now asked for my own copy for Christmas.  It was packed with good things to make with practical step-by-step guides.  There were cold frames, greenhouses, animal pens, sheds and more.  Find it here.
 I hope these ideas have helped.  Truly, we gardeners are a group that aren't hard to buy for.  Who else would get excited if you brought them a bag of dirt? 


Comments