Gardening Tools in the Kitchen

We're busy planning, prepping and even planting a few things.  We've got potatoes in the ground and onions--sweet, yellow, white and red.  I'm going to try a few leeks, just to see how they do.  I once had the most wonderful potato leek soup, so I have delicious hopes for this little crop.  I also planted some garlic even though it's not the right time.  The garlic and I had a conversation as I put it in the ground.  I apologized for my lateness, told it I got to it as soon as I could and to please do its best.  We'll see how my plant psychology works out. 

We just put in 100 strawberry plants and 25 asparagus.  All that bending and squatting sure did a number on my thighs--Farm Girl Fitness, feel the burn.

But today I wanted to stop and share a little something that we've been doing inside to prepare for outside.  We wanted to give our seeds an early start, so Jon built us some growing shelves.  We used a plastic shelving unit (for ease of cleaning) and ordinary shop lights but with bulbs for growing. 


The seeds are sprouting and doing very well.  They'll be ready to go out to the garden in a few weeks.  And do you see all those red cups?  That's the other thing I wanted to tell you about.






We do have some seed trays but I'd seen somewhere on Pinterest about a fella who planted his seeds in Solo cups and thought I'd give it a try since I had some.  Turns out, you have some great gardening tools right in your kitchen.





Take an ice pick and poke a few holes in the bottom of each cup.  Be sure to set the cup down and brace it with one hand.  Use a permanent marker to write the name of the seedling on the cup.  Fill with potting mix and plant your seed.  When you're done, simply wash, stack and save for next year.  I also use an empty cup to gently water the other seedlings.  For just a couple of dollars you have a great way for plants to grow that will last for years to come.

And one more thing, we planted four more peach trees this weekend and two mayhaws.  One of the peaches is so happy with its new home it decided to bud. 


Comments

  1. Work work anxious to see it all growing. You are a Farm Family now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is work, but it's fun work and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment